Syllabus - "Introduction to the PhD Viva Voce Examination at Transart Institute"
Introduction to the PhD Viva Voce Examination at Transart Institute
The viva voce or “viva” is an integral part of the examination of your doctoral research project. Through case-study, role-playing and diagnostic work, participants in this half-day workshop will gain insight into viva voce examination process at Transart Institute. This workshop also provides an opportunity for candidates to consider these conventional aspects of the viva in terms of their own research project, and how to devise forms that are, ‘best suited and integral to their own voice and the spirit of their own research.’
To provide insight into:
– The wider institutional context of the viva voce examination
– What is being assessed at the viva
– Devising appropriate ways to examine your project
– The viva at Transart Institute
– Your project in relation to viva voce conventions
– Candidates own expectations, experiences, and understanding of the viva voce.
1. General introduction to the PhD viva voce examination
– The viva in a UK university context;
– The UK viva compared to forms of PhD examination in other countries. (e.g. USA, Norway, Sweden, Germany.)
– Viva conventions: details of typical proceedings
2. What is being assessed at the viva?
– Assessment criteria
– The role of examiners
3. Your viva at Transart Institute
– Your project in relation to viva voce conventions;
– Devising, and deciding upon an appropriate format for examination.
4. Candidates own expectations, experiences, and understanding of the viva voce.
viva voce, examination, PhD